Saturday, June 25, 2011

Some say I'm a Dreamer......

Picture of me 4 years ago
....I hope I'm not the only one!

Growing up as a young girl I felt it extremely important to set goals for myself.  I'm sure this was influenced by my father who encouraged my love for sports, namely softball.  He taught me that working harder than the rest would ultimately lead me down the path to a scholarship, a full-ride scholarship, to any college I wanted.  

So at the young age of 10 years old, I set my very first goal that would not be realized until 8 years later.  I was going to push and pull and tear my way into the hearts of the college recruiters to earn a full ride scholarship to a Division I Pac-10 school. I would settle for nothing less!
  
You can call this my first true dream.  A dream that lead to many other dreams.  I wanted to be a lawyer and attend Stanford Law School.  I wanted to be a heart surgeon, ala my idol at the time, Dot Richardson.  I wanted to be a power house business woman. I had many dreams. 

When the time came to go to college, I did not get that full ride scholarship to a Pac-10 school. But I did get one to a Big XII school. It was around this time that I began to realize that dreams can shift into a slightly different version of the original one, and that's ok. 


The picture above shows a young woman who just graduated college.  I felt like my life was truly beginning.  I had dreams of a glamorous career.  My hopes were to travel and taste foreign cuisine. I would find that those dreams would wait....


......for a time after another adventure was somewhat complete, raising children.  Just as my other dreams were shifting, I found that my life was calling for something more concrete.  I discovered that I am a woman who wants to experience motherhood.  All of a sudden, and I do mean sudden, my dreams of motherhood over took my dreams of being an individual.  And I'm glad it did!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much you've grown the past 14 (yikes!) years!! I can't wait to finally meet these wonderful little girls you've brought into the world. I'll be in town September 23rd weekend and must see you! Maybe you and Jessica can get a babysitter that night cause me and Raymar are throwing a little Homecoming night party so we can see everyone that won't be at the reunion.

    ReplyDelete